Kovakkai (Ivy gourd) is rich in vitamin A and C. Someone told me that people on weight loss diet can have this vegetable. I like kovakkai with potato combination. It gives better taste. It is used in sambar and avial also.
- 150 gms Kovakkai(Ivy gourd or tindora)
- 1 potato – peeled and chopped
- 2 small onions
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Cut kovakkai into round slices. Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once it crackles, add onion and tomato. Fry for two minutes.
- Add kovakkai and potato. Mix well and add turmeric powder & red chilli powder. Cook it covered for 10-15 mins. Make sure it don’t get deep fried. If necessary add small amount of water.
- Serve hot with sambar rice or chapati. You can also have with steamed rice.