Sutta Kathirikkai Thokku, today we will see how to prepare baigan bharta/ sutta kathirikkai thokku at home using following steps.
Baigan bharta is a healthy vegan dish which can be served with roti or simply cooked rice. This is a dry dish and very delicious. Roasting eggplant gives a nice rustic flavour to the dish. Roasting part alone consumes time and other than that the dish is very easy to prepare.
Roast brinjal and remove the charred skin. Mash them and sauté with masala powders. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
- 1 big brinjal
- 1 onion – chopped
- few curry leaves
- 1 tomato – chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Roast the brinjal on stove top. Keep it over small burner on low flame. Turn around the sides to roast evenly. It will take 15 minutes to roast completely.
- Peel off the skin and smash brinjal it with knife or large flat spoon.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Fry for two minutes and add smashed brinjal.
- Add sambar powder and coriander powder. Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Cook it on low flame for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot with chapati or poori. You can also mix this thokku with cooked rice.