I like this thokku very much. My brother who hates brinjal loved this thokku. Even my husband liked it. All credit goes to my mom. I learnt it from mom.
- 1 big brinjal
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chopped coriander
- Roast the brinjal on stove top. Keep it over small burner on low flame. Turn around the sides to roast evenly. It will take 20-30 minutes to roast completely.
- Peel off the skin and smash it with hand or large flat spoon. It will be hot so you can use spoon itself.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Fry for two minutes and add smashed brinjal.
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Cook it on low flame for 10-15 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with chapati or poori. You can also mix this thokku with steamed rice.