For my family, biriyani is never complete without boondi raita. They both make good company. Boondi raita comes under north-Indian cuisine. Boondi raita is made of deep fried gram flour(besan / kadalai maavu) balls, curd and chili powder. You can also add little chaat masala or jaljeera powder which gives an extra flavor. But it is purely optional. You can use this as side-dish for biriyani, pulao or any indian flat bread variety. It is very simple to prepare and not much work needed if you have plain boondi readily available at home. For better results, try this with homemade plain boondi which will never disappoint with you its taste and fresh aroma.
Preparation time : 5 mins
Cooling time : 20-30 mins
- 1 cup plain boondi
- 1 and 1/2 cup curd / yogurt – whisked
- 1 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder – optional
- 1 tsp roasted peanuts – optional
- plain salt or black salt – to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Whisk curd in a bowl and add 1/2 cup water to it. Mix well & add all the above mentioned ingredients to it.
- Keep it in refrigerator for 20-30 mins. Serve it chilled with biriyani, pulao or any india bread varieties.
- You can also use kara boondi and skip red chili powder. Adjust other ingredients and serve chilled.