Simple and takes less time to prepare.
- 150 gms cabbage (i used ooty cabbage)
- 2-3 tbsp siru paruppu(split green gram or mung dal)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 tomato
- 3 dry red chilli – split into three parts
- 2 garlic flakes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds and add dry red chillies. Saute a while and add chopped onions. Add garlic flakes and chopped tomato. Fry for 2 mins and add chopped cabbage. Mix well and add turmeric powder.
- Wash siru paruppu and drain the water. Add it to the kootu and mix salt. Add 1/4 cup water and more if needed. Close the lid and remove from heat once 2-3 whistle comes. Serve hot with rasam rice. You can also use bottle gourd or snake gourd for kootu.