Thepla is a gujarati dish and first time i heard it in 3 idiots movie. I searched on internet to get the recipe and found out the method. I modified it slightly according to my choice. I would like to have thepla with mullangi raita.
- 2 cups grated radish(mullangi or mooli)
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1 medium sized onion – cut into small slices
- 1 green chili – cut into small slices
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp thick curd
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds & cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and green chilli. Fry for two mins and add grated radish. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Cook for 5-10mins and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool. Combine wheat flour, curd, ghee and radish mixture. Add water if needed. Knead it to smooth dough like we do for chapati.
- Make lemon sized balls and proceed as we do to prepare chapati. Roll them as thin as you can. Heat tava and cook the theplas. Apply oil on both the sides. Remove from the heat. Continue with the remaining and serve hot with raita or any sabji.