|Vadakari – Old Pic|
|Vadakari (Bengal Gram Dhal Curry)|
Vadakari is most famous side dish for idli. But in some hotels, they also serve this with upma. I like vadakari with roti and idli. I have not used coconut here. It is very simple to make. You can either steam cook lentils or fry them and then add in curry.
- 1 cup channa dhal (kadala paruppu / bengal gram)
- 3 onions – finely chopped
- 2 tomato – finely chopped
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Soak channa dhal in water for one hour. Grind it to paste adding 1 tbsp water. Grease the idli plates and make balls of the paste.
- Steam the channa dhal balls for 10 mins and remove from the heat. Let it cool and then crumble it with hands.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once it crackles, add cloves and cinnamon stick. Add chopped onions and green chilli. Fry for two mins and add ginger-garlic paste.
- Add tomato and cook for 2 mins. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix scrambled channa dhal to it. Add salt to taste and 2 cups water. Cook it for 5-10 mins. Add more water if needed. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with idli or dosa.