Keerai kuzhambu is very famous and also healthy. Best to have with ragi kazhi which gives excellent taste. Preparation time is less and not much work is needed.
- 1 bunch Amaranths
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 2-3 green chillies
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- 1 cup toor dal (tovaram paruppu)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 3-4 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- Clean the amaranths by cutting off the root. You need not chop the stem and leaves into small pieces. Just cut the leaves and stem pieces and wash it.
- Take a pressure cooker and add amaranths, onion, tomato, green chilli, garlic flakes, tamarind ball and toor dal.
- Close the lid and pressure cook it by adding 1 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat. Once the pressure settles down, take a mud pot and add this pressure cooked mixture into it.
- Take a roller and smash the mixture completely. It takes about 5-10 mins. Smash it like a paste. If you dont have pot, you can blend it in a mixer.
|Roller to smash the pressure cooked keerai|
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds & curry leaves. Add it to the curry and also add turmeric powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Add water if needed. Mix well and serve with steamed rice, idli, dosa or ragi kazhi.
|Arai Keerai Kuzhambu (Amaranthus Tritis Curry)|