Kollu Sundal Recipe, today we will learn how to prepare kollu sundal with step by step photos. This simple and easy to prepare south indian style salad / sundal is not only healthy but works great for people trying to reduce weight.
Kollu / Horse Gram / Kulthi is a nutritious bean rich in calcium, iron and protein. They are considered to be very helpful to people trying to reduce weight as it is rich in fiber. We prepare rasam / soup, sundal and chutney with kollu. Kollu tends to increase heat inside our body which in turn helps to burn fat. Pregnant ladies should avoid this.
Kollu is pressure cooked with water, the cooked water or chaaru can be used to prepare curry or rasam / soup. Cooked kollu is used to prepare sundal or can be used to prepare curry or kurma. This is a simple sundal recipe where I have only onion and chilies. You can give a twist by adding grated coconut and chopped raw mango.
Kollu Sundal Recipe
- ¾ cup kollu (ulavalu / horse gram / kulith / gahat)
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu / split black gram)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-8 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Kollu Sundal
- Pressure cook kollu with 4 cup water for 10 whistles and remove from the heat. Keep the kollu separately and use the water for preparing kollu rasam. Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, urad dal, dry red chillies and chopped onions. Saute a while and add cooked kollu. Add salt to taste, asofeotida and cook for 5-8 mins.Serve hot or cold.