Raw mango and drumstick is the best combination. Tamarind pulp is not needed when raw mango is used. I added nookal also to give extra taste.
- 1/2 raw mango – i used bangalore raw mango
- 1 nookal – peeled & chopped
- 1 drumstick
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic flakes
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup tovaram paruppu(toor dal)
- 1/2 tsp asofoetida (optional)
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pressure cook the toor dal, tomato and garlic flakes with half cup water for 3 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down.
- Mash the dal mixture so that it becomes smooth. Heat oil in a small pan and temper mustard seeds. Fry onion for 2 mins and keep aside.
- Add chopped vegetables, turmeric powder, asofoetida and red chilli powder. Add fried onions and salt to the sambar. Add 1-2 cup water. Close the lid and pressure cook it for two more whistles. Serve hot with any main course.