The healthy and spice-less dish always prescribed by doctor during fever or at the time of ulcer. It is very light and can be taken everyday.
- 1 cup toor dhal (tovaram paruppu)
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 garlic flakes
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- lemon sized tamarind – soaked in water for 30 mins
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Wash the toor dhal and pressure cook with tomato and garlic flakes for 3 whistles. Add 1/2 cup water or till the dhal is immersed and then pressure cook it.
- Remove from the heat and once pressure settles down, mash the mixture to smooth paste. Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves, dry red chillies, cumin seeds and chopped onions. Saute a while and add dhal mixture. Add tamarind water removing pulp. Add more water if needed.
- Add turmeric powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Let it boil for 5-10 mins and remove from the heat. Serve hot with steamed rice or chapati.