Peerkanga (Ridge Gourd) is rich in fiber and can be taken during summer season since it keeps body cool.
- 2 peerkanga (ridge gourd)
- 2-3 tbsp siru paruppu(split green gram or mung dhal)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 tomato
- 3 dry red chilli – split into three parts
- 2 garlic flakes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- Peel off the skin of peerkanga and remove the seeds. Chop the peerkanga into small pieces.
- Pressure cook the siru paruppu with 1/4 cup of water for about 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and garlic flakes. Sauté a while and add chopped onions. Add chopped tomato and fry for 2 mins.
- Add chopped peerkanga. Mix well and add turmeric powder. Add pressure cooked siru paruppu to the kootu and mix salt.
- Add 1/4 cup water and more if needed. Cook it covered for 10-15 mins. Serve hot with rasam rice.