- 1 peerkanga (ridge gourd)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 dry red chili
- small lemon sized tamarind
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- 1 tsp urad dhal (ultham paruppu)
- 1 tsp channa dhal (kadala paruppu)
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Wash and cut the peerkanga removing seeds alone. Taste it lightly to confirm it is not sour. Include the outer green skin and inner part of the peerkanga for this thogaiyal.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add garlic flakes, tamarind, dry red chili, urad dhal and channa dhal. Saute a while and add chopped peerkanga.
- Add onions and fry for 15 mins till the raw smell goes and outer skin of peerkanga becomes soft. Add coconut and fry for another 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Blend the mixture to smooth paste adding little water. Shift it to mixing bowl and add salt to taste. Serve with steamed rice or dosa.