- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 small onion
- 4-5 dry red chili
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 1 tsp urad dhal (ultham paruppu)
- 1 tsp channa dhal (kadala paruppu)
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- salt to taste
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Roast all the ingredients with little oil (except salt) in a kadhai. Fry till the raw smell goes. It may take around 10 mins. Remove from the fire and allow to cool.
- Blend the thogaiyal in a mixer to a smooth paste adding little water. Serve with idli or dosa or steamed rice.