This rice can be prepared using pressure cooker or pot. I have tried tomato rice with basmati and raw rice. Both tastes delicious. Tomato rice looks and smells similar to plain biryani. You can either add one big tomato or 2 medium sized tomatoes. Similarly, add green chilies or red chili powder. For additional flavors, add mint or coriander leaves.
Some of the rice varieties shared in my blog, Burnt Garlic Fried Rice, Masoor Dal Khichdi, Pudina Rice, Ellu Saadam and Poondu Maanga Saadam. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Instant Tomato Rice
- 1 and ½ cup raw rice or basmati rice - washed and soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- 1 big tomato - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 4 cloves
- 1 green cardamom
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp ghee (or) butter
- 3 cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Tomato Rice using pressure cooker
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker. Temper cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Saute a while. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now, add ginger garlic paste and stir well.
- Add turmeric powder and coriander powder. Mix well everything. Add 3 cup water, washed and drained rice and salt to taste. Stir well everything and close the lid. Pressure cook for 3 whistles on high flame. Remove from the flame and allow to cool. Serve tomato rice with raita.