- 1 cup channa dhal (kadala paruppu) – prepares 15-20 masala vadai
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 big tomato
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 5-6 garlic flakes
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in water for 30 mins
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup blended coconut – optional
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Soak the channa dhal for 1 hour and blend it with fennel seeds to smooth paste. Add 1/2 cup chopped onions and green chilies. Add salt to taste and mix the paste well.
- Heat oil in kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and 1/2 cup chopped onions. Saute a while and add chopped garlic flakes. Add chopped tomatoes and mash it.
- Add turmeric powder and chili powder. Mix well and add tamarind water. Allow it to boil for 5 mins. Add blended coconut paste and salt to taste. Cook till the oil separates. Curry should not be very thick.
- Meanwhile heat oil in another kadhai and make the balls of the paste. Take a ball and form a disc. Put the vadai in heated oil and fry till it turns golden brown. Proceed with the remaining balls and keep them separately.
- Add masala vadai to kuzhambu and cook for 5 mins and remove from the heat. Serve with steamed rice.
- You can grind onion and tomato also.