Sweet and sour in taste & good for health. This dish is common among village people. I learnt it from my grandma.
- 1 peerkanga (ridge gourd)
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 3-4 dry red chili
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- small lemon sized tamarind
- 1/2 cup siru paruppu (split green gram or mung dhal)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Scrape the outer skin of ridge gourd and remove the seeds. Chop the inner green portion alone.
- Take a pressure cooker and add all the above said ingredients except salt and mustard seeds. Add 1/2 cup water and close the lid. Heat the pressure cooker and let it cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Once pressure settles down, open the lid and mash the mixture to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper the mustard seeds. Add the smooth mixture and water if necessary. Add salt to taste and let it boil. Remove from the fire and serve with steamed rice.