These are various methods to prepare sambar. This method is one among them. Less spicy and good for health.
- 1 tinda (round gourd)
- 1 drumstick
- 1 nookal
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 small tomato
- small lemon sized tamarind – soaked in water
- 1/2 cup tovaram paruppu (toor dhal)
- 1 tbsp channa dhal (kadala paruppu)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 4-5 dry red chili
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pressure cook the tovaram paruppu with 1/4 cup water along with tomato and garlic flakes for 2-3 whistles. Meanwhile, fry fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, channa dhal, red chili and coconut with little oil. Grind it to smooth paste and keep aside.
- Mash the tovaram paruppu once pressure settles and add grounded paste. Add turmeric powder and asofoetida. Mix well and add tamarind water. Add chopped vegetables to sambar.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and saute a while. Add the fried onions to the sambar. Add salt to taste and water if necessary.
- Close the lid and Pressure cook the sambar for 3-4 whistles and once done, serve with steamed rice.