Dal Flavored with mint leaves
- 1 cup split black gram (urad dhal) – soaked for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup channa dhal (bengal gram or kadala paruppu) – soaked for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 11/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 dry red chilies
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 curry leaves stick
- Pressure cook the black gram and bengal gram with 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and little salt. Add 1/2 cup water and close the lid. Cook for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to settle.
- Once done, Mash the dal well. Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves and split dry red chilies. Saute a while and add chopped onions. Dry till it turns light brown. Add chopped tomatoes, pudina leaves and remaining ginger-garlic paste. Mash the tomatoes and add cooked dal. Mix all and add turmeric powder, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Add water if needed and cook till it boils. Serve hot with any indian bread.