Dindigul Chicken Biriyani, the famous south Indian style Chicken Biryani with subtle flavors of mint leaves and garam masala. We are biryani lovers and biryani is my weakness 🙂 I have tried “n” number of restaurants for the authentic biryani taste or which can satisfy my taste-bud. Some of them would be too spicy or taste like tomato rice in the name of biryani or more dalda / ghee would be added. My first foremost love would be for Muslim Style Biryani. Next comes Ambur Biryani and Dindigul Biryani & also Selvi Mess Biryani in Salem. But nothing can satisfy when its about homemade Biryani. In course of time, we have developed liking for biryani prepared at home let it be veg or non-veg. This biryani recipe is close to my heart which never fails me. Do try the recipe and impress your family.
|Dindigul Chicken Biriyani – Old Image|
I photographed this recipe for Ancient Cookware. This copper rice server can be used to serve biryani, pulao or any variety rice dishes. Those who wish to buy products from Ancient Cookware, let it be indian pots or any products from their store, can avail a discount of 5 % by using coupon code : Preeti. You need to use this code at the time of checkout.
Some of the other biryani recipes shared in my blog, Ambur Chicken Biriyani, Mumbai Style Chicken Biryani, Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani, Zafrani Chicken Biriyani, Mutton & Curry Leaves Biryani, Crab Biriyani & Mutton Keema Dum Biryani. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Dindigul Chicken Biryani Recipe Card
- 250 gms Chicken
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp thick curd
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt – a pinch
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 1 onion
- 2 cup basmati rice or seeraga samba rice – soaked in water for 10 mins
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- Marinate chicken with turmeric powder, curd, lemon juice and salt. Keep it aside for 30 mins. To prepare masala paste, grind ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, mint, coriander leaves and onion without adding water. Keep it aside.
- Wash the rice and drain the water completely. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan or Handi. Add 1 tbsp ghee, cloves, cinnamon, star anise and bay leaf.
- Saute a while. Add mint leaves and chopped coriander. Cook for few mins. Add marinated chicken to it and cook for 5 mins.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes and cook for another 2 mins. Add red chili powder, garam masala and ground masala paste. Cook for 5 mins. Add left over curd from marinated chicken and cook till the oil separates.
- Add 4 cup water and allow to boil. Now, add soaked rice and salt to taste. Mix well and close the lid. Cook till rice is cooked. Gently stir the rice to mix with gravy uniformly. Serve hot with onion raita.
Recipe Video :