- 1 yellow round cucumber – peeled and seeds removed
- 1 small onion
- 1 small tomato
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- 3/4 cup toor dal (tovaram paruppu)
- gooseberry sized tamarind ball – soaked in water for 20 mins
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp chili powder (sambar powder)
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dhal (ultham paruppu)
- Pressure cook the toor dhal for 2-3 whistles. Once pressure settles down, mash the dhal to smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and temper mustard seeds. Add urad dhal, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Saute a while and add chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Add mashed toor dhal and tamarind water. Mix well and add chopped round cucumber. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Close the lid and cook it for 2-3 whistles. Serve hot with steamed rice.