|Kalmi Bare (Mixed Gram Cakes)|
Celebration time for me 🙂 Today, I am glad to update 500th post in my blog. I never thought i could achieve this number in short time of 8 months. Well this is short time for me 🙂 For last few days, i was breaking my head and torturing my hubby to give some special recipe for this number.
He just told me to prepare something which i love the most. I love ladoos but was scared to prepare, since it may spoil my mood if it doesn’t come well. So i will give a try later. Sorry ladoo ji.. Aapko baad me dekhoongi..
Those who know me very well, are aware of the fact that i love spicy food too. Till today morning, i was not sure what to prepare. I quickly took a look into my books collection and saw this recipe hiding inside Delhi Street Side Recipes. I loved the idea and immediately tried it. I hope you will also like it.
Kalmi Bare is a deep fried mixed gram cake which goes very well with curd and pudina chutney. Or you can also serve as it is.
- 1/2 cup bengal gram (channa dal or kadala paruppu) – soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup urad dal (ultham paruppu) – soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 tbsp dry ginger powder (sonth)
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 3-4 dry red chilies or green chilies
- Grind urad dal to coarse paste without adding water. Grind channa dal, broken red chilies and coriander seeds in a mixer to coarse paste adding 1 tbsp water.
- Mix dry ginger powder, cumin powder, pepper powder, chopped coriander, asofoetida and salt with the dal paste.
- Keep it aside for 10 mins. Heat oil in a kadhai. Wet your palms and make balls of the paste. Take a ball and make a thick round cake like we do for vadai.
- Drop in the oil and fry till it turns pale golden. Fry all the cakes and remove from the oil. Drain the excess oil using absorbent tissue paper.
- Now cut each cake into two equal halves and fry them again in oil till it turns crispy and golden brown. Remove from the oil.
- Take a bowl and place the cakes. Add beaten curd, mint chutney and sprinkle chaat masala. Enjoy this chaat with your family 🙂