- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- marble sized tamarind – soaked in water for 30 mins
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu)
- 1 tbsp roasted poppy seeds
To Fry & Grind :
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 1 cup curry leaves (karuveppilai)
- 2 green chilies
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Roast the poppy seeds and grind it to a powder. Fry the above said ingredients with little oil and grind with the powdered poppy seeds. Add little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add urad dal, fenugreek seeds and chopped onions. Saute a while.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and grinded paste to it. Mix well. Add turmeric powder, tamarind water, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook it covered for 10 mins. Serve hot with rice.