|Podalanga Kootu Poriyal (Snake Gourd Curry)|
- 1 cup finely chopped podalanga (snake gourd)
- 1/4 cup bengal gram (channa dal or kadala paruppu)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
To Grind :
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- Fry mustard seeds, broken red chilies, curry leaves and ultham paruppu with little oil. Allow to cool and grind with coconut adding little water. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile cook bengal gram with enough water for 10 mins. Drain the water completely.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and tamper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and podalanga. Saute a while.
- Add cooked bengal gram, turmeric powder, cumin powder, masala paste, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rasam rice.