|Podalanga KaraKuzhambu (Snake Gourd Curry)|
A well known south-indian spicy curry which can be tried with many vegetables like drum stick, lady finger, brinjal, raw mango etc. I had a half snake gourd left in my refrigerator. So i just thought lets try karakuzhambu with this veggie. It worked out well. It had usual karakuzhambu taste. It goes well with rice or idli/dosa.
- 1/2 cup chopped Podalanga (Snake Gourd)
- 1 big onion
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 green chilies – split at the end
- 5-6 garlic flakes
- small lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1/2 cup water for 30 mins
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp bengal gram (channa dal or kadala paruppu)
- 1 stick curry leaves
For Ground Paste :
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp roasted poppy seeds
- Prepare the paste adding little water and keep aside. Cook the chopped podalanga in water for 5-6 mins. Drain the water completely.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add bengal gram, garlic flakes and curry leaves. Saute a while. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Fry for 2 mins. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add cooked vegetable and saute a while. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
- Add tamarind water and cook it covered for 10 mins. Add more water if needed. Add salt to taste and grounded paste. Cook it covered for 15 mins. Remove from the heat and serve hot with steamed rice.