|Thakkali Kurma (Tomato Kurma)|
Thakkali Kurma / Tomato Curry, a tomato and coconut based curry which can be prepared in a jiffy if there is no vegetables available in your pantry. The curry will be less spicy and looks creamy since we have added coconut. The whole preparation is very simple and it works out well even if you dont have coriander powder or chicken powder. Lets check the recipe,
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
- 5-6 tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chicken powder – optional
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
To Grind :
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Grind coconut and fennel seeds in a mixer adding little water. Grind it to smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds & curry leaves. Add chopped onions and fry for a min on low flame.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped tomatoes. Mash the pulp. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder and coriander powder. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add chicken powder, asofoetida and ground paste. Add 2-3 cup water and salt to taste.
- Cook it covered for 10-15 mins and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rice or dosa.
- If the tomatoes are too pulpy, then reduce the quantity of tomatoes to 3 or 4.
- This Kurma goes well with Crispy Dosa or Steamed Rice. Adding chicken powder is optional. You can instead try adding garam masala.