|Kothavarangai Paruppu Usili|
- 1 cup finely chopped Kothavarangai (Cluster Beans)
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 garlic flakes
- asofoetida – a pinch
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp thick tamarind extract
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 curry leaves stick
To Grind :
- 1-2 tbsp toor dal (tovaram paruppu)
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Soak toor dal in water for 1 hour. Grind it along with grated coconut, red chilies and cumin seeds to coarse paste.
- Cook chopped cluster beans in water for 10 mins and keep aside. Drain water completely.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and garlic flakes. Saute a while.
- Add cooked beans and fry for 2 mins. Add tamarind extract and turmeric powder. Cook for few mins.
- Add dal paste, asofoetida and salt to taste. Add 1/4 cup water and cook till it becomes dry. Serve hot.