|Brinjal Pachadi – A side dish for biriyani|
For Pachadi :
- 3-4 brinjals (eggplant) – washed and chopped
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1/2 cup water for 20 mins
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ultham paruppu or black gram)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
To Grind :
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 10-15 curry leaves
- Grind the above mentioned ingredients adding little water and keep aside. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add black gram, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Saute a while.
- Add chopped onions and fry for 2 mins. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add chopped brinjals and fry for few mins. Add masala paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and tamarind extract.
- Mix well. Add asofoetida, salt and 1 cup water. Cook it covered for 10 mins. Mash the brinjals with the help of ladle.
- Cook it covered till it becomes thick and oil separates. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with biriyani or steamed rice.