|Cabbage & Chickpeas Pulao|
- 2 cup basmati rice – soaked in water for 10 mins
- 1/2 cup white chick peas (kabuli channa) – soaked overnight in water
- 1/2 cup grated cabbage
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 small tomato
- 4 green chilies – slit at the end
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- Pressure cook channa with 1 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely.
- Heat oil in a handi or pan. Tamper cloves, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaf and fennel seeds. Saute a while.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies. Fry for 2 mins. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, mint leaves and chopped coriander. Cook for few mins. Add grated cabbage and cooked channa.
- Saute a while. Add turmeric powder, asofoetida, coriander powder and 1/4 cup water. Cook it covered for 5 mins.
- Add 31/2 cup water and allow to boil. Add basmati rice, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Mix well and cook it covered on medium flame for 15 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.