|Fish & Chick Peas Masala|
- 1/2 cup white chick peas (kabuli channa) – soak overnight in water
- head and tail pieces of fish (i used king fish here)
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 bay leaf
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- Marinate fish pieces with 2 tsp sambar powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and little salt. Keep aside for 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or tava. Fry the pieces till 3/4 the cooked. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Pressure cook chick peas with 1 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and drain the water completely.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and star anise.
- Saute a while. Add chopped onions and curry leaves. Fry for 2 mins. Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped tomatoes.
- Mash the pulp. Add cooked chick peas, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
- Mix all and cook for few mins. Add yogurt, asofoetida and salt to taste. Add 1 cup water and cook it covered for 5 mins.
- Add fried fish, dried fenugreek leaves and cook it covered for 10-15 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or roti.