|Karuvepillai Kozhi Varuval – OLD PHOTO|
The above old photograph looks different from the new photographs. If the chicken is marinated with less quantity of masala, then you will get typical dry chicken just like chicken 65 or tawa chicken fry. For the old recipe, I have marinated 250 gms chicken with fresh ground masala prepared from 1 shallot, 30 curry leaves, 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp coriander seeds and 10 peppercorns, then add 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp red chili powder.
If you would like to prepare old photo type chicken fry then refer the quantity of the ingredients mentioned in the previous line. I have updated the old recipe and increased the quantity. Other methods are same for both, ie, marinated chicken pieces are fried with shallots and curry leaves. If you have any doubt, then comment here or send an email. The recipe is very simple and easy to prepare.
Some of the other curry leaves based south indian dishes, Karuvepillai Podi, Karuvepillai Baby Corn Masala, Aatu Kari Thokku, Rajma Masala, Chicken Curry, Eral Varuval, Karuvepillai Kuzhambu, Eral Thokku and Marinated Fish Gravy. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Karuvepillai Kozhi Varuval
- 250 gms chicken
- 20-23 sambar vengayam / shallots
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 35-40 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to make Simple Chicken Varuval
- Grind shallots, curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste and pepper powder to smooth paste adding little water. Marinate chicken with the paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Keep it aside for 30 mins. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onions and saute a while. Now, add marinated chicken along with the paste and cook covered for 10 mins on low medium flame. Add 1/2 cup water and cook again for another 10 minutes. Cook till you get thick masala. Remove from the heat and serve hot.