|Nethili Meen Varuval (Nellikuppam Special)|
Nellikuppam is a city in tamilnadu and one of the most important business center in Cuddalore District, known for Sugarcane growers. But it is also famous for seafood and dry fish recipes. One of my aunt who belong to this place shared this recipe with me. I had it first time and fell in love with it. Serve it with rasam rice and enjoy its relishing taste.
- 10-12 big size Nethili Meen (Anchovies)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 tbsp thick tamarind extract
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder (chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Clean and wash the fish. Remove its head and split the body into two halves. Remove the fish bone(moolu). It will be easy to remove.
- Cut the fish into 2-3 pieces and wash again. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and chopped onions.
- Fry for 2 mins. Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped tomatoes. Mash the pulp. Add fish pieces, turmeric powder, sambar powder, coriander powder and tamarind extract.
- Sauté a while and add salt to taste. Cook it covered on medium flame for 10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rasam rice.