|Pickled Seer Fish (Vanjaram Pickle)|
- 250 gms Seer / King Fish (Deboned) – chopped into cubes
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1/2 cup water for 30 mins
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Clean and wash the fish cubes. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai and fry the pieces till it turns golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and keep aside. Preserve the oil. Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a kadhai and temper mustard seeds.
- Add roasted cumin powder and fenugreek powder. Saute a while and add ginger-garlic paste.
- Stir for a min. Add chopped onions and fry for few mins. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and fried fish cubes.
- Add asofoetida and cook for few mins. Add tamarind extract and preserved oil. Add salt to taste and cook it covered for 10 mins.
- Cook till the oil separates and pickle becomes little dry. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Serve with any main coarse.