|Vazhai Thandu Poriyal (Plantain Stem Stir-Fry)|
- 1 cup finely chopped plantain stem
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 tbsp chopped green chilies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (black gram or ultham paruppu)
- 1 curry leaves stick
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Boil chopped plantain stem with turmeric powder for 10 mins. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add black gram, chopped onions and curry leaves.
- Fry for 2 mins. Add chopped green chilies, cooked plantain stem, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Cook for 5 mins. Add grated coconut and cook for another 10 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and remove from the heat. Serve hot with rasam rice.