|Vellam Pongal (Jaggery Pongal)|
- 1/2 cup raw rice – soaked in water for 30 mins
- 1/2 cup siru paruppu (split & peeled green gram or moong dal) – soaked in water for 30 mins
- 100 gms grated jaggery
- 2 tbsp ghee
- raisins & cashew
- Boil 7 cup water in a vessel on medium flame. Once it starts boiling, add siru paruppu and cook on medium flame till it is 3/4 th cooked. It may take around 10 mins.
- Add soaked rice to it and mix well everything. Cook it uncovered on medium flame for 15-20 mins.
- Once the water is 3/4 th absorbed and rice is completely cooked then add grated jaggery and mix everything. Meanwhile, roast raisins and cashew in ghee and add to the pongal.
- Mix well and remove from the heat. Even if the pongal looks little bit watery, it will become thick after cooling down. Serve hot or cold.