|Green Tomato & Potato Curry|
To Fry & Grind :
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp pottu kadalai (roasted bengal gram)
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
For Curry :
- 1/2 cup blanched green tomato
- 2 green chilies – slit at the end
- 1/4 cup potato cubes – boiled and peeled
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp onion vadagam
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
To Prepare Paste :
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadhai or pan and temper mustard seeds. Add broken red chilies, curry leaves and fennel seeds. Saute a while.
- Add garlic, pottu kadalai and chopped coconut. Saute a while. Add chopped onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to smooth paste adding 1 tbsp water. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Curry:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add onion vadagam and curry leaves. Sauté a while.
- Add green chilies, prepared paste and blanched tomatoes. Mix well. Add turmeric powder, potato cubes, asofoetida and salt to taste.
- Mix all and add 1/2 cup water. Cook it covered for 15-20 mins till the raw smell goes. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice or roti.