|Hariyali Kofta Curry|
Recipe Source : “Popular Restaurant Gravies” by Tarla Dalal
To Make Kofta :
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spinach (paalak)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fenugreek leaves (methi) or 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 cup boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp garlic-ginger-green chili paste (grind ginger-garlic paste and 2 green chilies)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- bread crumbs – for coating
For Onion Paste :
- 2 medium sized onions
- 3-4 cashew (kaju)
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
For Curry :
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- few strands of saffron dissolved in 3 tbsp warm milk
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamom
- Cook onion and cashew in 3/4 cup water for 10 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Blend in a mixer along with 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned to prepare kofta except bread crumbs in a mixing bowl. Keep aside for 10 mins.
- Make small balls and coat it with bread crumbs. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and fry the balls till it turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and drain the excess oil using absorbent tissue paper.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds. Add cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. Saute a while.
- Add onion paste and saute a while. Add yogurt and mix well with the paste. Add red chili powder and dried fenugreek leaves.
- Cook for 15 mins. Add cream, saffron dissolved milk and 1/4 cup water. Add salt to taste and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the koftas just before serving and simmer for a minute. Serve hot with roti or rice.