|Nan Khatai - Indian Eggless Cookie|
Nan Khatai is an indian eggless cookie which is made from maida, sugar and ghee. The chennaites can see the vendors selling this cookies for Rs 5 in sub-urban trains. The fresh aroma of ghee makes you forget about those extra calories :)
The recipe is adapted from here. But i have made few adjustments with the proportion of the flours added. It tastes exactly the same, they sell in shops. Finally, satisfied with the outcome :)
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup fine semolina (rava / sooji)
- 1 cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds powder
- 1/4 tsp saffron strands - crushed
- pinch of salt
- chopped almonds & pistachio
- Mix ghee and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl till smooth. Keep it aside.
- Sieve maida, besan and salt. Add sooji to it and mix well. Add cardamom seeds powder and crushed saffron to it.
- Mix everything. Add the flour mixture to ghee-sugar mix in parts. Knead it to a smooth dough and keep it covered in refrigerator for 20 mins.
- Preheat oven to 160 degree C for 10 mins. Take the baking tray and sprinkle little water. Keep a butter paper and grease it with little oil.
- Take the dough and make even shaped balls. Take a ball and press it lightly. Place the cookies on lightly greased baking tray with at least 2" space between them.
- Lightly press the chopped nuts on the top of each cookie. Bake on the middle rack for 15-20 mins. Keep an eye on the cookie while baking. It should not turn the color.
- Once the bottom of the cookie starts turning light brown, Take out the tray and shift the cookies on a cooling rack. Store the cookies in an air-tight container.