|CCC Kootu (Chow Chow & Carrot Kootu)|
- 1 Chow-Chow (Chayote) – finely chopped
- 2 Carrots – peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup bengal gram (kadala paruppu / channa dal)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 small tomato
- 4 garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Tamper mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and garlic flakes. Saute a while.
- Add chopped onion and fry for few mins. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp.
- Add chopped chayote and carrot. Mix well. Add bengal gram, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and asofoetida.
- Mix all and cook for few mins. Add salt and 1/2 cup water. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.