|Masoor Dal (Indian Red Lentil)|
- 1 cup Masoor dal (indian red lentil)
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped beans
- 1/4 cup chopped pearl onion (sambar vengayam)
- 2 small tomatoes
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp onion vadagam
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Pressure cook dal, one tomato and garlic flakes with 2 cup water for 2-3 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash the dal and keep aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and temper mustard seeds.
- Add vadagam and curry leaves. Add broken red chilies and chopped onions. Fry for few mins.
- Add carrot and beans. Fry for 2 mins. Add dal, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Mix well. Add 1-2 cup water and salt to taste. Cook for 5 mins and add garam masala. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.