|Pavakkai(Bitter Gourd) Maanga Pitlai|
For Curry :
- 1/2 cup chopped bitter gourd (karela / pavakkai)
- 1/4 cup kala channa (black chickpeas) – soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup toor dal (tovaram paruppu / split pigeon peas)
- 1 Raw Mango – diced into cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped pearl onion (sambar vengayam)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp onion vadagam
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-8 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 3-4 garlic flakes
To Roast & Grind :
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp black gram (ultham paruppu)
- 1 tsp bengal gram (kadala paruppu)
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and roast all the above mentioned ingredients for few mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer adding little water to smooth paste.
- Pressure cook channa with 1 cup water for 2-3 whistles. Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Pressure cook toor dal and garlic flakes with 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Allow to cool and mash the dal.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Tamper mustard seeds. Add vadagam and curry leaves. Saute a while.
- Add chopped onion and fry for few mins. Add chopped karela, cooked channa and mango cubes.
- Saute a while. Add cooked dal, turmeric powder and grounded paste. Mix well. Add red chili powder and 2 cup water.
- Add salt to taste and cook it covered till the curry thickens. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice.