|MTC Dal (Masoor-Toor-Channa Dal)|
- 1/4 cup toor dal (split pigeon peas / tovaram paruppu)
- 1/4 cup masoor dal (indian red lentil / mysore paruppu)
- 1/4 cup channa dal (bengal gram / kadala paruppu)
- 1/4 cup pearl onions
- 3 garlic flakes
- 1 small tomato
- 1 drumstick – chopped (optional)
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp onion vadagam
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Pressure cook all the dals with garlic and tomato. Add 11/2 cup water and close the lid. Cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash the dal and keep aside. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Tamper mustard seeds. Add broken red chilies, vadagam, curry leaves and saute a while.
- Add onions and fry for few mins. Add this to the dal. Add drumstick, asofoetida, turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt & 2 cup water.
- Mix all and close the lid. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Allow to cool and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.