Ragi Koozh is a very healthy food. It keeps our body cool. It is also known as "Poor Man's Food" since it requires only few ingredients which are easy to get and also cheap. It can last up to 2 to 3 days if kept outside.
Local street vendors sell this porridge on daily basis. It attracts laborers, drivers and also daily wage earners.
Usually village people consume this food in the morning and afternoon to keep themselves fit for their regular activities. Nonetheless this is a very healthy food for all type of people.
|Ragi Koozh (Finger Millet Porridge) - Poor Man's Food|
- 1 cup Ragi Flour (Finger Millet)
- 1/4 cup noi arisi (broken rice)
- 3 ltr water
- Soak ragi & rice separately in water (enough water to make a watery paste) overnight or you can soak it in morning and cook it evening.
- Heat 3 ltr water in a vessel on medium flame. When it starts boiling, add soaked rice along with water and mix well. Keep on medium flame.
- Once rice is cooked, take little hot water and mix with ragi paste. Make sure no lumps are formed. Add this to the vessel and stir it frequently on medium flame for 5-10 mins in order to avoid lumps.
- Now keep on low flame and cook it uncovered for 20 mins. Remove from the heat and close it. Allow to ferment and have it on the next day.
- At the time of serving, you can mix buttermilk and pearl onion and have it. Or even you can add nethili kuzhambu with the koozh and serve.
- If kept outside it can last upto 2-3 days. If refrigerated, it can come upto one week.
Serving Suggestions :
Pearl onion, any pickle, dry fish curry, buttermilk, green chilies, appalam, fried pickle