|Rajasthani Dal Baati|
Most of you would be knowing that recently i went to Chokhi Dhani. I tasted dal baati for the first time there and fell in love with this dish. My husband doesn’t like north indian preparation but he was also impressed with this recipe.
After seeing his liking, i thought to try this recipe at home. Once i saw this recipe in Tarla Dalal’s Rajasthani Cookbook. Immediately i noted down and tried it. It was exactly what we had there. We had it with Missi Roti. Lets move on to the recipe,
Recipe for Dal (No Onion No Garlic) :
- 1/3 cup Channa dal (Bengal gram / kadala paruppu)
- 1/3 cup Toor Dal (tovaram paruppu / split pigeon peas)
- 1/3 cup Masoor Dal (Mysore Paruppu / Indian Red Lentils) – optional
- 1/3 cup Moong dal (whole green gram / payatham paruppu)
- 2 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 2 green chilies – chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tsp tamarind water
- 1 tsp amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Wash & Soak all the dal in water for 1 hour. Drain the water completely. Pressure cook dal with 3 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash the cooked dal and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan or kadhai. Add cloves, bay leaf & cumin seeds and once it crackles, add mashed dal & chopped green chilies.
- Mix well and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, amchur and asofoetida. Mix well and cook for a min.
- Add tamarind water and salt to taste. Add 2 cup water and cook it covered for 10 mins on low flame. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with baati & roti.
Recipe for Baati (Hard Wheat Rolls) :
Makes 10 Baatis
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup fried semolina (rava / suji)
- 2 tbsp besan (gram flour)
- 8 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp melted ghee (clarified butter)
- salt to taste
- Sieve wheat flour and besan. Combine in a mixing bowl. Add rava, milk and salt. Mix well and add ghee little by little. The dough should be like crumble now.
- Add enough water to make a firm dough. Knead it for 5 mins and keep aside for 10 mins.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal balls. Flatten the balls lightly and press at the middle using thumb to make an indentation.
- Boil water in a kadhai and drop the baatis in water and cook for 15 mins. Remove from the heat and drain the water completely.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C for 10 mins. Place a parchment paper on baking sheet and grease with little oil. Place the baatis on the tray and keep in oven.
- Bake the baatis for 10 mins. Turn the baatis and bake for another 10 mins.
- Remove from the oven and keep aside.
- At the time of serving, break the baatis into crumble and add to the prepared dal. Mix well and serve with roti. You can also pour some ghee oven baati or dip the baati in ghee and serve.