|Sundakkai Nethili Karuvadu Kuzhambu (Turkey Berry & Dried Anchovies in Tamarind Curry)|
- 1/4 cup Turkey Berry (Sundakkai)
- 15-20 Nethili Karuvadu (Dried Anchovies) – soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 drumstick – chopped
- 2-3 small brinjals – chopped
- 4-5 pearl onions – skin removed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped
- 2 green chilies – chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- lemon sized tamarind ball – soaked in 1/2 cup water for 30 mins
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Wash the berries and remove the stem attached. Using pestle and mortar, smash the berries till it bursts. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai and fry the berries for a min. We are doing this to reduce its bitterness. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Wash the anchovies and remove its head part. Clean it under running tap. Cook the dried anchovies in water for 15 mins to remove the raw smell. Remove from the heat and drain the water completely.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a handi or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Add pearl onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Fry for a min on low flame.
- Add chopped onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.
- Add chopped brinjal, drumstick, turmeric powder, sambar powder, coriander powder and asofoetida. Sauté a while.
- Add tamarind water, fried berries and 1 cup water. Add salt to taste and cook it covered on low flame for 10 mins.
- Add cooked anchovies and cook it covered for another 10-15 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or ragi kazhi.