|Dhaba Style Dal|
Recipe Source : Dal Recipes by Tarla Dalal
- 1/2 cup split black gram (urad dal chilka)
- 1/4 cup red kidney beans (rajma)
- 1/4 cup bengal gram (channa dal)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 green chilies – split at the end
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp dry fenugreek leaves
- Soak all the dal in water for 6 hrs or overnight. Pressure cook the dal with 2 cup water for 4-5 whistles.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds and asofoetida.
- Add chopped onion, green chilies and garlic. Fry till onion turns golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes. Mash the pulp.
- Add cooked dal, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and salt to taste. Mix all and add 2-3 cup water.
- Cook it covered on low flame for 15 mins. Sprinkle dry fenugreek leaves and chopped coriander. Cook it covered for another 2-5 mins. Serve hot with roti.