|Homemade Naan Bread - without yeast (Stove Top Method)|
Naan, a thick indian flatbread is either cooked in tandoor or oven or stove top. Today I'm sharing stove top method which gives good result equivalent to other methods. We can also make stuffed naan with keema, potato, cauliflower or nuts as a filling.
There are various variations to prepare naan. We can prepare it with yeast or without yeast. I was looking for without yeast method, then i saw this recipe in a cookbook. I noted down immediately and tried it. My husband liked it very much as it is very soft and we also enjoyed it with chicken tikka masala.
- 3 cup Maida (all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup yogurt/curd
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- Sieve maida and combine with baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil. Knead well. Add curd and knead again. Add water and knead to a soft and smooth dough. If the dough is sticky, add oil to it and knead again for 5 mins. The longer you knead, the softer naan will be.
- Close it with a moist cloth and keep in a warm place for 2-3 hrs. The dough will rise but not double in size. Sprinkle little flour and knead again. Divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Take a ball and dust with flour. Flatten the balls to make naan. Dont roll it too thin. At one side on naan, sprinkle chopped coriander or any flavor you want.
- Roll it lightly and on the other side brush little water. Heat a tava and place the wet side on hot surface of tava. Close it with a lid for few seconds. Once you see the bubbles, remove tava and place the naan over a cooking wire rack with the help of tong.
- Now flip over the naan once brown spot appears and repeat it till the naan is cooked completely both sides. Similarly, repeat the process with other naan. Brush little butter/ghee on both the sides and serve with any veg/non-veg gravy.