|Karamani Muttai Salna (Black Eyed Beans & Egg Stew/Curry)|
- 1/2 cup Karamani (Black Eyed Beans / Lubia) – soaked overnight in water
- 2-3 Eggs
- 1 Medium sized Potato – Boiled & Skin Removed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 green chilies – slit at the end
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- asofoetida – a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
To Grind :
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 3-4 green chilies
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp pottu kadalai (Roasted Gram)
- Pressure cook karamani with 1 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Drain the water completely.
- Grind the above mentioned ingredients adding little water to a smooth paste. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies. Fry for a min. Add chopped tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Mash the pulp and cook for a min.
- Add grounded masala and saute a while. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and asofoetida. Mix all well.
- Add cooked karamani and diced potato. Add 2 cup water and salt to taste. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Once pressure is completely released, open the lid and cook salna on low heat. Break the eggs and close the cooker with a plate. Let it cook on low heat for 10 mins.
- Now mix the curry well and add garnished coriander. Add more water if needed and cook for another 5 mins. Remove from the heat and serve with parotta or dosa or aapam.