|Beetroot & Tomato Soup|
Its raining in chennai 🙂 For past few days, it was too cloudy but rain didnt show a sign. Today it started raining in whole city but it seems my area was exception. My mom and husband called me to ask if its raining, since they were all enjoying the rain in their respective places. I was just irritated with their phone calls because i didnt see a drop falling from the sky 🙁
Then rain showed little mercy and now roads are flooded with water. Hot n Healthy Soup would be a better option to enjoy this rain. I had only beets in my pantry so tried this yummy soup and enjoyed with rain.
- 1 medium sized beetroot – skin peeled
- 1 small tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup yogurt/curd
- pepper powder – according to your need
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Cook beetroot and tomato in water for 10 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Remove the skin of tomato. Cut beetroot into cubes. Reserve the water.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Add cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Saute a while. Add garlic and chopped onion.
- Fry for a minute. Remove form the heat and allow to cool. Grind it along with cooked tomato and beetroot. Use the reserved water while grinding to make smooth paste.
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in a pan. Add blended puree and yogurt. Mix well. Add pepper powder, cumin powder and salt to taste.
- Adjust the taste and cook for 5 mins. Add water if needed. Remove from the heat and serve hot with fried bread pieces. I have used whipped yogurt to garnish the soup.
- You can also use milk or oats to prepare this soup. To make fried bread, just cut the bread slice into cubes and fry them on a non stick pan with 2 tsp oil. Fry till both the sides turns golden brown and they are crispy.