|Garlic Chicken Curry / Poondu Kozhi Kuzhambu – Indian Style|
The main flavor of this recipe comes from garlic and gingelly oil used. It is a know fact that garlic has cancer-fighting properties. So i always try to include garlic in my recipes. I never used gingelly oil in cooking before. I always used it for only applying to stone deities in temples. When i came to know that this oil is used for cooking too, i thought to give a try. This oil has high smoke point and it will just trigger your taste-bud. You can also use other cooking oil instead of gingelly oil.
- 250 gms Chicken
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 tbsp gingelly oil (or any other cooking oil)
Paste 1 :
- 15-20 pearl onion (sambar vengayam)
- 7-8 dry red chilies
Paste 2 :
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
To Prepare Paste 1 :
- Grind pearl onion and broken red chilies in a mixer without adding water. Remove and keep aside.
To Prepare Paste 2 :
- Separate garlic flakes from the cloves. Grind it with grated ginger in a mixer without adding water. Keep it aside.
To Prepare Curry :
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add Paste 2 and saute a while on low flame.
- Add Paste 1 and cook for few seconds. Add turmeric powder and coriander powder powder. Saute a while.
- Add washed chicken pieces, pepper powder and salt to taste. Stir well and cook it covered on flame for 10 mins.
- Add coconut milk and little salt if needed. Add little water if needed. Cook it covered on low flame for 10-15 mins. Stir it occasionally. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice.