|Murg Bharta / Kozhi Muttai Podimas|
Before my marriage, we had a microwave at mom’s place. Along with microwave we received a cookbook written by Nita Mehta. I used to try most of the non-veg recipes from that book on every weekend. One such recipe is Murg Bharta. We made it n number of times and enjoyed with either roti or biriyani. This is a fool proof recipe which will never make you fail.
Fresh coriander seeds are grinded along with red chilies, which gives the main flavor. Since the chicken is cut into tiny pieces, it doesn’t take much time to cook. The only time it takes is to cook the masala. You can also use this masala as spread for sandwiches and give it to kids for lunch or as snack. Check out my other Chicken Recipes here.
- 250 gms Chicken – B/L (cut into tiny pieces)
- 1 medium sized Egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato puree ( 1 large tomato – blanched & pureed)
- 2 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp amchoor (dry mango powder)
- 1-2 tbsp dry kasoori methi ( dry fenugreek leaves)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 10-15 curry leaves
To Grind :
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4-5 dry red chilies – broken
- Take a small pan and heat it. Add 1 tsp oil and break the egg. Scramble the egg on low flame for few mins. Remove form the heat and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Tamper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onion and green chilies. Fry for a min.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and coriander-chili paste. Saute a while. Add chopped tomatoes and saute a while. Don’t mash tomato pulp.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well. Cook it covered on low flame for 2-5 mins. Add turmeric powder, garam masala, amchoor and kasoori methi leaves.
- Saute a while. Add little oil if needed. Cook it covered for 2 mins. Add tomato puree and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add scrambled egg and salt to taste. Cook it covered on low flame for 10-15 mins. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or roti. You can also use this masala as spread for sandwiches.